Tuesday, August 9, 2011

"Weight is the Enemy"

I read that quote tonight on an internet forum about Labrador.  It's true and something I try to live by when traveling.  Go light, go simple.  Less stuff to break down, get lost or complicate your life.  If you really need something you can buy it on the road (there's even a Walmart on the Trans-Labrador Highway, yuck).

On this trip you won't see me packing a hairdryer, laptop or books.  A journal maybe.  Tools, definitely.  I'll be wearing the same riding gear everyday so I don't need a lot of extra clothing.

I plan on camping as much as possible for this trip.  My new tent arrived today.  This gave me a chance to test out how well my camping gear packs on the bike.

Here's my cookset.  It's a Pinnacle Dualist set from GSI (birthday present).  It contains enough material to cook for two people and only weighs 20 ounces.  It has four bowls (2 are insulated), lids, utensils, a large pot with a cover/strainer and the bag doubles as a wash basin.


My stove is also pictured.  It's a Pocket Rocket from MSR. 

Everything fits inside the cookset,even the fuel canister.

My tent is a Mountainsmith Morrison 2 person, 3 season model.  I found a great review on it in Backpacker Magazine.  It's only 18" long, which is ideal for a motorcycle.  It's shorter than nearly any other reasonably priced tent on the market.

Set up was a breeze.  I haven't bought a tent in about 5 years, so I like the new features.  The aluminum poles stake to the outside on clips.  It has a bathtub floor to resist water pooling inside.  It's got interior pockets and even a gear hammock in the ceiling.  The fly ties out so you can make a vestibule to store boots.  It took about 5 minutes to set up the first time.



The tent is huge inside.  I have a 1 person backpacking tent that is too small for a motorcycle.  It will only fit a sleeping bag; the gear has to stay outside.  If I'm going to live in it for 2 weeks I want to store my stuff inside.

Here's my camping gear:

(L to R):  sleeping bag, Theramrest pad, tent, cookset
It all fits in one of the saddlebags:


This should leave me plenty of room for my other stuff.  With any luck I'll be able to take the bike out for an overnight test run in the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment