Thursday, August 25, 2011

I (heart) Vermont

I started the day early and headed east, visiting 11 covered bridges from Burlington to Newport. The promised rain and storms never really materialized. It only rained for about an hour.

It's beautiful out here. There's an authentic charm to this place. There aren't any tourists, there's no natural wonders to visit or places to shop. What you see is how people live. Lots of farms surrounded by mountains. The pungent odor of cow manure was present all day. I don't think I saw one traffic light until I got to Burlington (where the traffic is awful, BTW).

Once I got back I went to the Shelburne Museum for a while. This place is incredible, a must-see. They have their own covered bridge, steam locomotive, train station, paddle-wheel steamship and an actual lighthouse.

I have 7 more bridges to visit to finish off the list of every covered bridge in Vermont. They are all concentrated in the northeast corner of the state. I'm headed there in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment