Sunday, August 21, 2011

Stranded in Bangor

I'm finally safe, holed up in a motel in Bangor, Maine.

It's hard to describe what a nightmare today has been. About 15 minutes after leaving the campground I blew the rear tube of my bike at 50 mph. I lost control, the bike fishtailed on and off the road and I missed a telephone pole by 2 feet.

It took about 4 hours and $200 to get back on the road. The shop didn't have the correct tube, so he put a 19" one in. I have a 17" rim. He said it should get me home so I decided to end the trip and head home.

I got to Bangor, about an hour away, when the new tube blew. Another catastrophic failure, with the tire coming off the rim. I was doing 70 mph on Interstate 95. The bike fishtailed again and it was a miracle I didn't go down or hit someone. No one would stop and help so I changed the tire myself on the side of the highway. I used the tube from this morning that I had wisely patched earlier today.

That got me to a motel where I am stranded and not sure what to do. There is a motorcycle dealership less than a mile away but they are probably not open tomorrow. I'm a couple of hundred miles from home and worried that I damaged the tire itself so it may not hold any tube.

Not sure what to do but I'm safe.

2 comments:

  1. Keith, that sucks! I'm glad you are okay, and did not go down.

    I just read the updates, too. Are you continuing your trip?

    It would be a shame to end it so early. Hey, if you do, you might be able to join us on a Mt. Washington camping trip in September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Henry, I decided to end the trip and come home to regroup and try to salvage my vacation. I'm going to unpack, do some laundry and repack for a couple of days in Vermont.

    When is your trip? I am definitely interested.

    ReplyDelete