Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Subframe Bolts

I still had the bike apart when two packages came from UPS this afternoon.  I have a new stainless steel front brake line which will improve stopping distances (notoriously weak on the KLR).  I also got a heavy duty tube, some oil filters, a helmet lock extender and the subframe bolt upgrade kit from Eagle Mike.

I've never heard of a KLR subframe breaking but I've seen plenty of ride reports online and even in the Long Way Round series where the subframes did break from overloading.  With the extra weight I'm carrying the $5 kit seems like a good idea.

Installation was as easy as unscrewing one bolt at a time and inserting the new, stronger bolts in their place.

Upper Subframe Bolt Comes Out First

Stock Lower Subframe Bolt
Upgraded Lower Subframe Bolt


There's a great walk through of the procedure here.

I still need to change out a leaky rear tube and install the new brake line and new brake pads.

No comments:

Post a Comment