Tuesday, August 16, 2011

2 days and counting

Counting down to my departure on Friday morning.  The bike is almost done.  Changing the tires over tomorrow. 

I've been trying to figure out an economical way to keep in touch while on the road.  I considered a pre-paid cell phone for Canada but the rates are pretty high.  (saw $2 a minute!)  I decided to go back to a time before cell phones and get a calling card when I cross the border.  Much of the area I'll be traveling in has no cell service anyway so there are plenty of payphones.  A cell phone is mostly useless up there so I'll be limited to calling in the major towns anyway.

I did bow to technology and set up a Google Voice account so that friends and family can leave me messages while I'm on the road.  Pretty cool system. 

I also looked at internet options as I won't be bringing a laptop.  The Canadian government has set up a number of free internet kiosks throughout Labrador and Newfoundland; there is pretty much one in each decent sized town I'll be traveling in.  That should allow me to update my blog every day or so.

I also wrote down the ferry schedules I need.  There are four ferries on the trip, though I might by-pass the last one in Nova Scotia.

I have a couple of last minute shopping items, otherwise I'm counting the days and looking at the weather forecast.


No comments:

Post a Comment