Sunday, May 6, 2012

60,000 Mile Spark Plugs


Last weekend I celebrated my birthday with friends on a three day weekend, riding around Scranton, Penna.  We had a great time and the VFR ran perfect, racking up another 800 miles.  We even met the guys from American Pickers at our hotel.

Mike told us that the day before he had scored a Vincent Black Shadow in Milwaukee.  Hard to believe.  I guess they were out picking in the area.  Mike was really cool, but Frank was kind of jerk.  I don't know if he was hung over or what but he was pretty non-responsive to anything we asked him.

It was a great trip, eastern Pennsylvania has some awesome riding:  long stretches of isolated roads and fast sweeping turns.  You can read the trip report here.

I had been meaning to change the spark plugs in the VFR, but didn't get to it until today.  The last time they were changed was in 2006 at 40,000 miles when the dealer did it. 

I was intimidated at first by the process, which is why the dealer did it 6 years ago.  The shop manual said to remove the side plastics as well as the gas tank.  I have small hands so I didn't need to remove anything; I just lifted the gas tank.

The plugs came out easy and the old ones still had the correct gap after so many years.


Buttoned the bike back up and it's running perfect with 101,032 miles on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment