Sunday, April 8, 2012

VFR Hits 100,000 Miles

I've been waiting for this day for several years!  I've been wanting to get a bike over 100,000 miles for a long, long time and it seemed like it took forever on the VFR.  I bought the bike in 2003 and in those first few years I was racking up nearly 20,000 miles a year.  At the start of the 2010 season I had 91,500 miles on it but enjoying the KLR and my inability to commute to work anymore really cut down on the yearly mileage.  Last year I only rode it 2,500 miles.

To make matters worse at 99,800 miles the VFR developed an issue charging the battery.  A month and $750 later, I got it back yesterday from the dealer.  I took a nice ride with my friend Craig and pulled into the garage yesterday evening with the odometer showing:


I spent last evening going over all my receipts and records I've accumulated over the years.  I was surprised to find that I'd spent nearly $9,000 maintaining and farkling out the VFR over the past 9 years.  This included 4 sets of chains and sprockets, 7 sets of tires and 33 oil changes.

Today I went out to finally put the 100,000th mile on the bike.


I wrote up some information on the bike and the miles on VFR Discussion, the best VFR website out there. 
click here

I've been thinking about selling the VFR, worrying about taking long, multi-day trips out of state on it.  But it runs great and I feel like the bike has a new lease on life.  It still runs smooth and strong and I don't have a clear idea what I would even replace the VFR with.

I'm taking it on a 3 day trip to Pennsylvania with friends in less than 2 weeks.  Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment